1. The program will start with an introduction and discussion about the English decision to colonize Virginia.
2. We will discuss the contact of three distinct cultures in Virginia, including interactions and problems.
3. The program will conclude with a Question and Answer session.
1. Students will be able to explain the factors behind the English decision to colonize Virginia and the role of the Virginia Company of London and its charters in the settlement’s founding.
2. Students will identify that the establishment of Jamestown as the first permanent English settlement in North America brought into contact three distinct cultures: English, Powhatan Indian and West Central Africa, changing each one forever.
3. Students will describe the impact of the cultural interactions and problems faced by English settlers, Powhatan Indians and West Central Africans in early colonial Virginia.
4. Students will understand the relevance of Jamestown’s legacy today.
5. Students will develop historical analysis skills.
Virginia SOLs: VS.1; VS.2a,b,c; VS.3; VS.4; USI.1; USI.2d, USI.3; USI.4, USI.5.