1. Students begin with an introductory sort activity
2. Student mystery animal clues
3. Visit with a scientist showcasing animals
4. Clue analysis
5. Students determine mystery animal
6. Time for questions
• Identify properties of objects and sort them based on observable characteristics.
• Analyze and interpret data to classify physical properties.
Next Generation Science Standards:
2-PS1-1 Matter and Its Interactions
Plan and conduct an investigation to describe and classify different kinds of materials by their observable properties.
South Carolina Standards Covered:
K.P.4A.1 Analyze and interpret data to compare the qualitative properties of objects (such as size, shape, color, texture, weight, flexibility, attraction to magnets, or ability to sink or float) and classify objects based on similar properties.
K.S.1A.1 Ask and answer questions about the natural world using explorations, observations, or structured investigations.
K.S.1A.4: Analyze and interpret data from observations, measurements, or investigations to understand patterns and meanings.
K.S.1A.7 Construct scientific arguments to support explanations using evidence from observations or data collected.