1. Program begins with introduction to Rocky Mountain National Park and the NPS emblem.
2. Students discuss the importance of water and watersheds
3. Students watch simulated floods that were prerecorded on a video and make predictions about what will happen to "their" structure.
4. Students compare and contrast the 3 scenarios.
5. Students discuss mitigation strategies to prevent future floods.
6. Time is allowed for questions and answers.
Students will be able to:
1. Predict what will happen to their monopoly house during each simulated flood model scenario.
2. Name a variety of causes and effects of historical floods.
3. Discuss mitigation strategies for flooding.
4. Gain an appreciation of water.
Colorado Academic Standard: 3rd Grade Earth and Space Science: 2. A variety of weather hazards result from natural process; humans cannot eliminate weather-related hazards but can reduce their impacts.